Parrot Chute Panic
From DKC Speedrunning
|Game||Donkey Kong Country 2|
|World name||Gloomy Gulch|
|Level name||Parrot Chute Panic|
|Previous level||Gusty Glade|
|Next level||Web Woods|
- Baby: 4/10
- Safe: 5/10
- Optimal: 11/10
- There can be a couple of frustrating things when learning this level; the most frustrating being the Diddy headbutt (seen at 0:51).
- Occasionally during this hit, Diddy will not launch himself into the crack inbetween the bee, causing you to lose invincibility frames and the ability to keep falling down without dying to the bees (See Backups section if you missed the headbutt).
- Buffer the jump at 0:38
1 Frame Barrel Set-Up
- This trick saves 0.55s.
- If you roll into the beetle one frame after the DK barrel breaks you'll skip the freeze animation when you get a Kong.
- This is due to the fact that you have one frame of movement after the DK barrel breaks, and if you begin rolling through an enemy during this frame, then you can cancel the freeze.
- This set-up only works if you're using Dixie.
- You want to grab the barrel and hug the wall on the right as you're falling.
- Start throwing in the middle of the wall or you can use the second banana as a visual (see image above).
- As soon as you land immediately roll into the beetles.
- This set-up has potential to fail if you throw too high or too low, and the throw does not need to be perfect but close to it.
- At 0:32, do not damage through the bee. Instead, go down an extra level, roll off the platform then quickly tap right so that Dixie is stuck against the wall and finally jump into a headbutt. This allows more continuous dropping (Saves ~2.75s, or 2.20s if you get the 1 Frame Barrel (see above)).
- If you get hit after the roll off part, you can often navigate down to the DK barrel with invincibility frames.
- At 0:45, drop right instead of left, allowing you to fall in one smooth motion (Saves ~.25s).
- Minimize time spent gliding as Dixie.
Map of Optimal Route
- Riz 1d can be used as a backup if you roll for too long and hit the left wall, or simply as an alternative strategy.